Monday, November 25, 2013

LADY GAGA, BRUCE LEE, AND THE COURAGE TO BE YOU


I don’t know if Lady Gaga has ever thought about martial arts training.

It doesn’t really matter. 

The struggle for individuality and freedom of expression is universal enough. 

When a celebrity, especially a singer or actor, behaves outside the accepted range of normality, I doubt if you are all that surprised. 

But for some reason, when I write about the freedom from formality and the acceptance of natural reactions in self-defense, traditional martial artists seem to get a bit uncomfortable. 


That’s okay with me. 

In fact it puts me in an exclusive and honorable group along with such masters of individuality as Bruce Lee and Lady Gaga.  I know.  Haven’t seen those two names together before.

But think about it.  Society works to keep people in line for the most part, and we tend to admire those who can break free from the mold.  Perhaps Lady Gaga hasn’t been an exemplary role model for our children, but I don’t think that was one of her main objectives (benefit of the doubt anyone?). 

Admit it.  Part of the reason outlandish celebrity stunts bother you is because you wish you had the opportunity and courage to reach for something earth-shaking beyond the status quo.

When I was 12 years old, I asked my martial arts instructor why we performed certain movements and forms.  I questioned the reality of being able to use what I was learning in an actual violent encounter.  That just made him angry, and my faith in his ability, the tenets of the system, and my regard for the founder were all called into question. 

I just wanted to know that I could block a real punch and counter a realistic attack.  I thought that’s what they were teaching me to do. 

This put me on a path to find a different way.  What I found is that I had within me the foundation of an effective fighting spirit.  Once I was free to consider the reality of a violent attack, I found a way that worked for me, and I started to understand myself in a whole new way.

I write books to help people become free of what Bruce Lee called the “classical mess” of organized martial arts.  It’s easy to write about what I’ve learned.  But it wasn’t so easy for those who first set out on this journey towards an open mind. 

I was fortunate (don’t really believe in luck).

Eventually I found others who had been either turned off by commercial martial arts or who continued traditional training and supplemented with realistic combat tactics as well.  My journey toward realistic and practical defensive proficiency was begun in earnest.

Bruce Lee had to fight many challenge matches on the sets of his movies, and in everyday life, as people wondered if he really was that good.  The establishment of masters couldn’t seem to understand why he would share his knowledge so openly. 

In his search for individual freedom and perfection, Bruce Lee found some of his peers to be a limiting factor, holding him back.  The real battle was to be fought in the mind and perception of a man who sought to break free of “normality”.

The same is true for the Lady Gaga’s of the world.  The same might be true of you.

But it doesn’t have to be that way.

It’s easy for me to write about learning to use your natural movements and attributes as your own way of moving in a fight. 

But it took courage and spirit for our forerunners to stand up to a classical system and say, “No! I won’t do this your way anymore.” 

Those fighters pass on a legacy to us, and will always inspire those of us who aren’t looking to venerate any particular style or way.  Instead, we want to know what it is within each of us individually that can save us from the clutches of violence, and deliver us safely home yet again.

Awaken your inner warrior™




Stand!

Richard A. Moore
AppliedFighter.com

No comments:

Post a Comment